Start Date: June 15th, 2016
End Date: March 31st, 2017 (possibility of extension)
Supervisor: Rachel Telling, Program Manager
Salary: $20 per hour, plus 4% in lieu of vacation
Hours: 36 hours/week with some work outside of regular office hours
Position location: SFU Burnaby, Strand Hall Annex
Closing Date: Open until filled, candidates interviewed on a rolling basis
Please submit a cover letter and resume, with references, via email to:
email@example.com specifying “Application: Program Assistant” in the subject line. Please submit the cover letter, resume and references as one PDF with the document titled [Your Name]-Program Assistant-[Your Submission Date].
The Program Assistant will work at the Simon Fraser University (SFU) Sustainability Office assisting the Program Manager in developing, implementing, and monitoring sustainability-related projects at the University. This is a diverse role, offering the opportunity for developing skills in project management, stakeholder engagement, communications, and reporting. The position will need to work with other SFU departments across all three of SFU’s campuses in order to coordinate this work.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent project management skills, with experience working on multi-stakeholder projects in an institutional setting. Applicants should have strong attention to detail, with the ability to build lasting relationships with a wide variety of audiences, and produce high quality qualitative and quantitative reports. A keen interest in sustainability is essential.
- Assist the Program Manager in the development, implementation, and monitoring of sustainability projects;
- Produce project and program updates and reports for internal and external audiences;
- Perform stakeholder outreach to gain program feedback;
- Research best practices for continual program improvements;
- Coordinate program administrative duties, such as booking meetings and producing minutes.
- Manage and synthesize program data such as audit information and online surveys;
- Recruit, train, and coordinate student volunteers working to support sustainability programs and initiatives;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Experience coordinating, or working on, multiple multi-stakeholder projects simultaneously;
- Exposure to concepts in social, ecological and economic sustainability;
- Ability to network and build relationships with a high degree of professionalism;
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and juggle multiple projects;
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills with attention to detail.
Preferred skills and experience:
- At least two years relevant professional work experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles and techniques;
- Experience working on sustainability-related projects;
- Volunteer management experience.
SFU is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, although Canadians and Permanent Residents will be given priority.