Volunteer Position: Communications Assistant
Are you passionate about communications and would like to gain experience in the non-profit sector? We are looking for a talented and driven Communications Assistant to help plan, create and execute communications strategies and campaigns for the Justice Education Society of BC. This position is ideal for a communications student or recent grad who is keen to put their knowledge to work in a part time position.
About us: The Justice Education Society of BC is a non-profit organization that creates innovative programs and resources to improve access to British Columbia’s justice system. It provides the most public legal education resources in the province. Our mission is to build stronger communities by promoting understanding of, access to, and confidence in our justice system, at home and abroad.
Position Information: Working directly with the Communications Coordinator, the Communications Assistant will assist in creating key communications documents and materials for the society.
Qualifications: A third or fourth year communications student (or recent grad) with excellent interpersonal and critical thinking skills, who can think about the big picture while executing detail oriented tasks.
Title: Communications Assistant
Volunteer Supervisor: Communications Coordinator
Location: Provincial Law Courts, Downtown Vancouver
Dates & Times Needed: Hours are flexible, approximately 10 hours a week
Commitment Required: Approximately 10 hours a week for 8 weeks, with possibility of extension.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create communications campaign strategies
- Create and update communications tracking documents
- Write external communications materials (articles, blog posts)
- Coordinate with local media to promote programs and resources
Skills & Experience:
- Excellent communication skills
- Great interpersonal and people skills
- Excellent team player
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong writer
- Proficient in using social media for organizational purposes
- Knowledge of communications tactics and tools to promote and strengthen a brand/project
- Experience in creating communications and/or marketing strategies
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite an asset
- Interest in social justice and/or legal education
Approximate Position Start Date
May 2, 2016
Approximate Position End Date
June 27, 2016
For more information or to apply, please provide a statement of interest and resume to:
Lisa Hemmingson, Communications and Program Coordinator